Monday, January 15, 2007

Minus

Oh yes, campers. I'm beside myself with glee and lack of sleep. I'm at least 24 hours behind on Friday's comic and have 6 projects due on Saturday. Must be time to spend a half-hour on the Monday Webcomic Review! *weeeeee*


*coughs*


Right. Okay then. Where was I? Oh yes... I thought I'd expand on last week's theme and review another one of my nominee's for Outstanding Newcomer. The second slot goes to a comic described thusly by the artist: "Each minus strip is painted on a 15x20" piece of Illustration board. With this comic I am pretending I am making a comic strip for a newspaper in the early 20th century. A special newspaper that lets me use as much color as I want. I'm not much for comic strips so I don't know how long I'll be doing this one, so enjoy it while it lasts, I guess? It'll be updating every thursday until I suddenly stop! Making comics on giant paper is pretty neat though. Yeah."


Minus does an amazing job at fulfilling the artist's intentions. Sometimes funny, sometimes thought provoking, sometimes... well... odd, it's always beautifully done. I love the watercolor, and the web design is simple enough to showcase the softer colors of the artwork without being difficult to navigate. The artist's main site, Kiwis By Beat! offers even more to feast the eyes upon, including the black and white comic Socks and a smattering of illustrations I would gladly pay good money for. Okay, a couple of them disturb me in ways I don't like to think about... but oddly, those are the ones I like best. *grins*


All in all, I'm fascinated with the style, amused and interested in the content, and all around impressed. Here's hoping that Minus stays with us for a long time to come.



t